Central Park of Gahanna
Our team has been the exclusive land manager for the Central Ohio Community Improvement Corporation since 2005, when it was jointly formed by VRG and the Franklin County Treasurer to serve as a strategic public-private partnership for long-term land revitalization projects in Franklin County, Ohio. The first project undertaken was the remediation and closure of a licensed, solid waste landfill known as the Bedford Landfill in Gahanna, Ohio. Its remediation and redevelopment is a prime positive example of a successful public-private partnership, one that has required the collaboration of six government agencies and many investors and service providers from the public sector.
- The former Claycraft Brick Company was forced to close its facility after 60 years and the abandoned site remained vacant until it was eventually converted to a public landfill.
- The landfill occupied the site and operated for 25 years, accepting 10 million cubic yards of municipal waste, which joined previously abandoned piles of bricks and clay, exposed trash, and broken methane recovery system. The property became distressed and unproductive, with tax liens and other contingencies accumulating over time. Ultimately, the state and local community came to an impasse.
- The high cost of remediation frightened developers and no one was willing to take on the risk, as it took over $2 million just to clear the liens. The surrounding parcels were not developing due to their proximity to the landfill, and multiple adjoining owners complicated any ability to do a land assembly. The landfill parcel was not developable and was 84 feet deep in many areas.
- VRG stepped in and developed a creative solution that addressed all of the financial challenges associated with redeveloping the landfill and surrounding land. This solution included securing a $3 million Clean Ohio Revitalization grant (the first time this grant was awarded in Ohio for the remediation and closure of a registered solid waste landfill.
- VRG performed all of the transactional, legal and remediation and infrastructure work with the oversight of the COCIC and cooperation from the City of Gahanna.
- VRG secured public funding to demolish a 75,000 square foot dilapidated brick factory, crushed the bricks and recycled the materials for use on the site, capped the site with 200,000 cubic feet of clay that was already there, secured a $2.1 million loan to build a golf course and clubhouse on the site, and proudly manages the resulting Golf Depot at Central Park and Barry’s Grill & Pub
- View this location in a virtual tour HERE.
In December 2007, the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties presented our team and this project with the coveted award, “Most Creative Deal Structure” for our creativity in designing the public-private structure used to facilitate the remediation and redevelopment of what is now the beautiful Central Park of Gahanna.
The Depot Conference Center
The Golf Depot also has a “Sister Depot” located more in the center of Columbus, Ohio called The Depot Conference Center located at 921 Old Henderson Rd. Columbus, Ohio 43220
The Depot is an 1880’s train depot formerly located in the village of Brice, Ohio. This depot was disassembled and brought to Old Henderson Rd. where is was reassembled and modernized as a modern conference room with the best of amenities while maintaining every bit of the historical detail. You can take a virtual tour Here.